I watched the news and the fire grew quickly. The temperature was over 80 and the winds were 50 mph and faster. Once the power went out here at the house, I decided I should leave with the dog and go to my own house in Santa Barbara. Little did I know that my house was now in the path of the blaze. As I pulled off at my freeway exit downtown, the power was out, ashes were raining down, and traffic was jammed trying to get onto the freeway I had just exited.
Luckily for me, my friend Kate called at just that moment. She invited me to come to her house up in Goleta - well away from the fire.
As of this morning, over 100 homes and thousands of acres have burned. There is no talk of containment, and evacuation orders and warnings are still in effect. As my house downtown is still in evacuation warning, I stopped last night to pack a few things and grab photo albums and frames. I have returned to the house in Montecito with Moxie, as we are out of the path of the fire here.
It is wonderful to see what an incredible community Santa Barbara is. Hotels are offering free and reduced stays for refugees from the fire. Restaurants are providing free and reduced meals for fire fighters and others who are helping with this disaster.
For updates, you can visit the County of Santa Barbara website, this wildfire blog, and our local news station KEYT.
Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. Let's hope they have the fire under control before the Santa Ana winds return this afternoon!

1 comment:
Hi Jen! I've been thinking about you cuz of all these fires. So scary! Im glad to hear you are ok and I hope your house is too. It is wonderful to hear how tight your community has become in this time of need. You are in my thoughts!
-Ursula
Post a Comment