Sunday, September 14, 2008

Cooking the Days Away

My friend and her husband have hired me to be their cook. Wow, someone's going to pay me to do something I love to do? Cool! Since the two of them will be traveling quite a bit over the next few months, they asked me to start out with things for the freezer. Since Friday, I have made and canned applesauce with apples from their tree. I have baked, portioned, wrapped, and frozen two lasagne, manicotte, chicken casserole, macaroni & cheese, 3 versions of chicken cordon bleu. I par baked 4 individual sized chicken pot pies, then used the carcass from the chicken to make stock for soup.
Lucky for me, I get to do all this cooking in their fine kitchen here in Montecito. As they are traveling, I am house and dog sitting. Moxie is a two year old toy poodle - she is very sweet. My favorite part of staying here, aside from the warm pool, is that each morning I pick an apple from the tree in the yard on my way to work.
Today is my last day here - I will miss the big kitchen, and having a dog - but it will be nice to sleep in my own bed again!

3 comments:

janet said...

Three versions of Chicken Cordon bleu????????????? WOW! You have been busy...I am glad it has been fun. I hope they appreciate all your hard work. I saw your comment on Thimbleanna about the cookie cutters. Love, Mom

Elizabeth Checchio said...

How fun! It is great to be paid for what you love. But you love teaching too, so you can't complain too much.
maybe these people have friends that will want the same thing, and you will end up traveling the world as a personal chef!!!

rubybean77 said...

How do you find the time? I am so jealous! Cooking in a fabulous kitchen? SWEET!!!!!!